Lisa Jo Spencer
Florida probate attorney Lisa Jo Spencer has been drawn to the law for most of her life. Unlike attorneys who come to the profession because they enjoy sparring, Lisa Jo chose to become an attorney because of her love of helping others.
The desire to serve has continued to be a driving force in Lisa Jo's career. After graduating from Stetson University College of Law in 1993, Lisa Jo served on active duty in the United States Air Force as part of the Judge Advocate General's Corps. After five years of active duty, she worked as an Assistant State Attorney for the First Judicial Circuit in Okaloosa County, Florida, prosecuting crimes against children. In addition, she remained in the Air Force Reserve until 2005, having attained the rank of Major.
Following her tenure as an Assistant State Attorney, Lisa Jo first worked as an associate in a local law firm for a year, then co-founded another firm with some colleagues, devoting her practice to probate work, guardianships, and fiduciary and trust litigation. These practice areas allowed her to focus her attention on supporting families through a challenging and potentially divisive time in their lives. Clients and colleagues agree that Lisa Jo is well suited to this work, noting that one of her strengths is helping families deal with the tension of a legal crisis in a productive way.
In 2013, Lisa Jo made the decision to step out on her own and founded the law office of Lisa Jo Spencer, P.A., where she continues to work with individuals and families in need of estate planning, guardianship and probate and trust administration.
Lisa Jo and her husband Gary have been married for over 30 years and have one son who lives with his family in Brevard County. In her spare time, Lisa Jo enjoys boating, spending time at the beach, and relaxing with family and friends. She is also active in a number of civic and community organizations, including those that advocate for veterans and those that support citizens with cognitive, intellectual, and developmental disabilities.
- Probate Administration
- Trust Administration
- Estate Planning
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 1993
- Milligan College, B.S., 1984
Admission to Practice
- Florida, 1994
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Florida Bar Association (past chair, local Unlicensed Practice of Law committee)
- Okaloosa Bar Association
- Greater Fort Walton Beach Chamber of Commerce (Life Director, 2011 chair)
- American Business Women's Association, Emerald Coast Chapter (past president and 2009 Woman of the Year)
- Board of Community Solutions of the Emerald Coast (board member, founding member)
- The Arc of the Emerald Coast (past board member)
- Emerald Coast Estate Planning Council
- Okaloosa County Commission on the Status of Women (past member)
- Crossroads Center Medical Clinic (past board member)
- Fort Walton Beach Medical Center (past Board of Trustees member)
- Canvassing Board, Okaloosa County (2008 elections)
- Okaloosa County Women’s Hall of Fame (2015 Inductee)
- IMPACT 100 of the Emerald Coast (2018 president and past board member)